"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
Strategic planning for the Village of Portland was initiated under the guidance of Councillor Doug Good in 2014. It was conceived as an integrated component of Rideau Lakes Township Strategic Plan Portland - RLT Planning framework as well as collaborative effort with the Country Roads Community Health Centre, the United Church, The Portland Community Hall Board and the Portland Historical Society and other stakeholders in the community.
The collaborative effort reflects the fundamental connections that make up a healthy community with robust qualities of life. Thus the starting point of the effort was to develop a consensus across members of the community as to the most valued elements that are the basis of a Vision for the village of Portland. The methodology chosen to do the work is the Balanced Scorecard (BSC), which is includes the client (residents and taxpayers) as an equal player in the planning activities. The first step of the BSC process is an Assessment based on the client values:
- A community that fosters a sense of belonging and respect for all;
- A safe community;
- Encourages contribution through participation;
- A culture of caring and sharing;
- Good health care that is readily accessible;
- A culture of lifetime learning and discovery;
- A proactive concern for the health of our natural environment;
- Promotes and supports healthy lifestyle of activities and good food;
- Pride in the appearance and spirit of our community;
- A visual identity that is developed and promoted through year round events that attracts visitors economic opportunities;
- Affordable housing;
- Effective and sustainable infrastructure (roads, water, waste and wide-band communications);
- A sustainable and growing local economy that provides quality services and local employment opportunities year round;
- Actively seeking opportunities for economic development;
- Recognizes, preserves and promotes our history, heritage;
- Basic year round commercial services like banking, restaurant, groceries, etc.;
- Collaborative network that connects and enriches each of our communities across the region.
Vision Statement: The village of Portland seeks sustainable growth that protects our natural and historic resources, while preserving our values and qualities of life.
Mission Statement: The mission of Portland is to promote and improve our quality of living, enhance our sense of community, preserve our small-town heritage, to promote a healthy lifestyle and a sustainable and growing economy.
We are committed to providing excellence in services for all citizens, businesses, and visitors through continuous improvement and determination. We encourage community participation from our citizens, businesses and service organizations.
An excellent handbook for Strategic planning for rural communities complete with case studies, lessons learned, developed by the Ontario Health Department and theOntario Planning Institute: click on the link to view/download the document.
The Canada Census Profile provides population data which is an essential component for planning: